Senior Manager, People Operations
Sr. Manager, People Operations
At Because, our mission is to empower older adults to lead independent and fulfilling lives. We started in 2017 with a simple goal – to make it easier for older adults and their families to access the products they need. Today, we are on our way to becoming the #1 trusted brand for older adults – a fast growing and overlooked customer segment.
Our commitment to excellence has earned us recognition as an Inc. Best in Business 2022 honoree, and our products have been featured in Forbes, CBS and Fast Company. Since our founding, we have helped over 450,000 customers get the products they need to live at their best. Because products can be found online at BecauseMarket.com, on Amazon, and in select retailers.
We’ve raised over $60M in funding from top VC firms including Index Ventures and Khosla Ventures, and are grateful for the support from our customers, partners and investors.
As the Senior Manager of People Operations you'll work closely with our leadership team to build the strategy, practices, and processes that both attract extraordinary talent to our organization and provide an exceptional employee experience once they’re here. Our people are our most valuable resource, and your efforts will have a direct impact on our continued success as an organization. This is a newly created role reporting to the Director of Finance, with a close working relationship with our COO. This is an exciting opportunity to build out a people function at an early stage, growing organization.
In the near term, you’ll make an impact by:
- Partnering with hiring managers to recruit candidates across business functions/departments and levels, providing a best in class candidate experience in the process
- Supporting the successful onboarding of new employees and individual contractors
- Partnering with our leadership team on workforce planning; proactively mapping future talent needs for the organization
- Advising business leaders on human resources, talent acquisition strategies, and staffing trends
- Overseeing employee disciplinary meetings, terminations/offboarding, and investigations
- Ensuring HR and payroll compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, including reviewing and creating policies and practices
- Managing and periodically auditing the company’s 401k plan in conjunction with the finance team
- Strengthening company culture by championing and building out programs that foster engagement, inclusivity, and diversity
- Effectively presenting our culture, messaging and what makes us unique internally and externally
- Potentially taking on projects/wearing hat(s) outside of the typical People Ops and HR worlds, based both on company needs (we’re a startup!) and your level of interest/relevant experience.
Some future state initiatives you’ll likely get to work on include:
- Scoping, evaluating, and implementing the necessary people systems and tools (think: ATS, HRIS, etc.) to help the business effectively manage future growth
- Assessing and adjusting our current performance management process that supports transparent and constructive feedback among managers, team members, and peers
- Reviewing current employee benefits and evaluating alternative plans/providers
- Planning and coordinating total company and leadership offsites
- Creating learning and development programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees
- 7+ years experience in roles spanning both people operations (HR Generalist, HRBP, HR Manager, etc.) and recruiting
- Experience working at a startup or VC/PE-backed company
- Up to date knowledge of HR policies, procedures, and federal legislation related to employment practices and general HR administration
- Passionate about designing strategies that ensure we attract, hire, and retain the right people for the right roles
- Data and metrics driven
- Well versed in the most current recruitment and people ops tools and systems
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A track record of demonstrating a strong work ethic, integrity and personal accountability
- Demonstrated experience managing through significant change/growth and delivering results, as well as staying flexible as priorities shift
- While not required, a SHRM certification is a plus
- Comprehensive healthcare, including medical, dental and vision
- Free memberships with One Medical, HealthAdvocate, TalkSpace, kindbody, Teladoc
- 401K with 4% match
- Long-term disability
- Flex PTO
For this position, the reasonably expected pay is $140-160k/year for the level scoped. This position is also eligible for equity, and a competitive benefits package. Your pay will depend on several factors, including your experience, qualifications, education, location, and skills. In the event that you are considered for a different level, a higher or lower pay range would apply.
Because is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws.