Farmers Business Network
Farmers Business Network® (FBN®) is on a mission to power the prosperity of family farmers and rural communities around the world, transforming how the world farms with an integrated, technology-enabled agricultural platform.
We offer high ROI farm inputs, fintech and sustainability products and services powered by network data, and farm-tested insights from our global farmer community. Our platform helps FBN® members make confident decisions to ensure the economic viability of their farms, while also empowering them to be a part of the solution as the global community confronts its most pressing issues: providing food security for a growing population, transitioning to more sustainable agriculture, and responding to climate change.
We are a dynamic, innovative, and mission-driven AgTech company that offers competitive compensation and benefits as well as boundless career mobility. We are backed by top investors, including Fidelity, ADM, Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, T Rowe Price and Temasek. We have been featured in these articles by the Wall Street Journal and Forbes, and were also named "One of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World" by Fast Company Magazine.
The Canola Breeder will apply their deep knowledge of breeding methods, innovations and new technology to develop and advance new commercial canola hybrids to the market. This position will play a pivotal leadership role in the evaluation and development of all activities related to the FBN canola breeding program.
● Lead key segments of the canola breeding program and support the overall effort including the strategy, design and management of the overall canola breeding program focused on the development of improved and competitive canola hybrids for Western Canada
● Manage segments of the FBN breeding and breeder seed programs using greenhouses and laboratories with FBN technical managers
● Learn FBN germplasm collection and develop an aggressive strategy for germplasm and hybrid improvement. Further develop germplasm base and select lines for crosses and population development
● Understand traits needed in the marketplace and introgress traits into proprietary germplasm
● Keep accurate records of research, analysis and findings; and report to the canola agronomy, commercial sales and leadership team as necessary
● Manage breeding trials, analyze qualitative and quantitative data produced, and lead decision-making for product advancement to meet FBN business goals
● Submit data for variety registration in Canada and make presentations as needed to support products under consideration
● Collaborate with other divisions including agronomy, research and development, marketing, seed production, business leadership and other private and public stakeholders to support launch of new products to market
● Actively participate in the breeding team with Operations, Agronomists, and Researchers to maximize quality of results from colleagues located at diverse sites
● Remain up-to-date with best practices, relevant science, new technological innovation and continuously improve the breeding program accordingly
● Incorporate findings and best practices into the breeding program to improve speed and efficiency of the breeding process
● Travel to research trial locations to evaluate material and collect observation data
Formal Role Description
● With the R&D and commercial leadership, analyze industry trends to identify areas of innovation, opportunities for product development and potential additions to the existing product portfolio.
● Develop standard operating protocols for the breeding program
● Produce breeder seed and transfer to Seed Production for parent seed increase
● Establish, forecast and manage project plans and budgets for the complete breeding program including agronomic testing, oil and meal quality, double haploid, efficient use of molecular markers for breeding, new breeding methods, pathology testing and contract testing
● Other duties as required
Formal Education or Equivalent
● Ph.D. in Plant Breeding is preferred. MSc or BSc Degree with experience in plant breeding will be considered
Years of Experience
● 5+ years of experience in a canola or oilseeds breeding program and research farm development.
● A thorough and demonstrated understanding of plant breeding practices and techniques with a special focus on canola and/or oilseeds
● Leadership and mentorship experience paired with strong written and verbal communication abilities
● Desire to build a breeding program from the ground up–previous experience is preferred
● An applied knowledge of functional genomics, quantitative genetics, genetic statistical theory and experimental design for plant breeding
● Demonstrated experience developing new traits and varieties as well as being an active member in the commercialization process
● Exceptional time management and planning abilities
● Strong organizational and project management skills
● An analytical mind and passion for developing solutions, solving problems with a focus on continuous improvement
● Willingness to learn new techniques and apply new ideas in breeding program
● Must be able to travel ~20% of the time
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation and title for this position will be adjusted to suit your experience and qualifications. The compensation package is a blend of base pay and incentives. We also offer an attractive benefits package that includes health, vision, and dental insurance.
Farmer’s Business Network, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and participates in U.S. Citizenship and Immigration’s E-Verify program.
This salary range may vary based on geography and variations in cost of labor. Beyond the above or adjusted to market salary range, FBN also offers all full-time employees competitive equity compensation, health and wellness benefits, and various perks.