Customer Service Team Manager
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2023
Merit’s verified identity ecosystem helps trusted organizations across government and enterprise solve critical real-world problems in workforce development, emergency services, licensing, education, defense readiness, and other sectors. Thousands of trusted organizations - including government agencies and nonprofits - use Merit for digital verification of credentials, licenses, training, and skills.
Using Merit, organizations can capture and certify people data in containers called merits (Watch this video to learn more: What is Merit?), and grant them to individuals. All of an individual’s merits are stored in one place, providing people agency over their verified data, giving people secure access, and selective sharing with other organizations.
By connecting organizations and individuals, the Merit Platform supports a robust verified identity network that serves as a source of truth and trust for entire industries; bringing visibility, liquidity, and trust to people’s data.
Florida Division of Emergency Management
The Florida Division of Emergency Management partnered with Merit to provide a fast, secure, paperless solution for the verification and time-tracking of thousands of volunteers and paid medical professionals assisting with the statewide COVID-19 vaccination efforts. As a result of our work together, FDEM was named a StateScoop 50 Award winner for the State IT Innovation of the Year.
Ohio Department of Education - Afterschool Child Enrichment (ACE) Program
After the Ohio State Legislature created the $125M 2-year Afterschool Child Enrichment (ACE) educational savings account program, the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) contracted Merit to inform parents, guardians, and businesses about the new opportunity and eligibility requirements. Merit developed and delivered support systems, workflows, and digital assets for the ACE program. ODE issued digital credentials to parents and guardians certifying student eligibility, enabling them to use the grants with service providers listed in the Education Marketplace, and the Ohio ACE app is a single destination to view account balances and submit claims.
Virginia's Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR)
DPOR partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 professionals across more than 40 industries that are required to have a license to work. With Merit, those licenses are now digital, accessible, and easily verifiable by consumers and businesses.
Merit’s values are more than just words on paper – they permeate the company’s brand, culture, products, and even individual actions. Our values are:
Everyone is a friend. We see opportunities everywhere because Merit has endless ways to grow the already vast and self-propagating Verified Identity graph.
Building a network of truth and trust. Merit is modeling the real world of Verified Identity into a digital one, built on merits. Society values truth and merits represent the truth.
A rising tide lifts all boats. We think about entire industries and how to make the most impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, our employees, partners, and everyone on Merit should succeed.
Measure to meaningfully improve. Work is measured by output, not vanity metrics, and the things we do measure have goals.
Use Merit to build Merit. The strength of the Merit network, platform, and company compounds with the addition of every partner, consumer, and employee.
Benefits at Merit
Remote first with flexible working hours Unlimited time-off with encouraged minimums
Medical plans designed to provide comprehensive, high-quality medical and prescription drug coverage with low to no deductible
Dental and Vision coverage
Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support Income protection through basic life insurance, voluntary additional life insurance, and disability insurance
Fully paid parental leave for 6 months for both Moms and Dads
Additional support resources like Rightway care concierge, One Medical, Sibly, and SoFi to support employees in getting the most from their benefits from financial to mental health support
A dedicated People Operations team always looking for feedback and new opportunities to provide benefits that meet the needs of our employees
As a Customer Service Team Manager, you will manage a customer-obsessed team in meeting the needs of our customer base. You will contribute to standard customer service managing tasks, including training new team members to answer and troubleshoot technical questions from the team and the users and developers they support. In addition, you will focus on creating and maintaining the data connections and tools required for the customer service team to address customer needs quickly and with context. You will work closely with the Head of Customer Success to ensure that Customer Service tools and processes adapt to product changes and continue to provide our customers with the best possible support.
- Take ownership of customer service team issues and follow problems through to resolution
- Set a clear mission and deploy strategies focused toward that mission
- Develop support procedures, policies, and standards
- Keep accurate records and document customer service actions and discussions
- Analyze statistics and compile accurate reports
- Mentor and develop customer service specialists and nurture an environment where they can excel through encouragement and empowerment
- Apply best practices to areas of improvement
- Control resources and utilize assets to achieve qualitative and quantitative targets
- Adhere to and manage the approved budget
- Maintain an orderly workflow according to priorities
- Problem-solving efficiently with customers through different communication channels such as email, text, phone, live chat, video calls, and messenger apps
- Contribute technical knowledge and perspective to the customer service team and drive diagnosis and trouble-shooting for technical support and user issues
- Create, maintain, and monitor data connections between Merit systems
- Own communication between Customer Service, data, and engineering teams for technical bugs, upcoming changes, and any other issues
- Contribute to a customer-obsessed team and company-wide culture that empowers customers, members, and partners to maximize the value they derive from Merit in a repeatable and scalable way
- Describe all functions, features, and details of our products and services to our customers
- Maintain assigned tickets in a standard support workflow
- Analyze and report product malfunctions
- Maintain communication with multidisciplinary teams to ensure correct paths are available for the escalation of incoming inquiries
- Support maintenance of a documented knowledge base to meet internal and customer needs and to steadily improve the standardization and efficiency of our support function
- Represent the voice of our customer base and bring useful insights to help our teams better understand how our customers experience our products and services
- Help us establish our reputation as a company that offers excellent customer service
- 5+ years experience in a Customer, Technical, Management, and/or Sales Support role
- Experience with automation systems: Zapier, ITTT, Automate.io, Power Automate
- Proficiency in a CRM such as Hubspot, Salesforce, Zendesk, or other
- Proficiency in either Google Sheets, Excel, or both
- Ability to multitask effectively and follow through on tasks
- Technical training on integrated web applications
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Adept at communicating benefits and managing conflict where it arises
- Highly motivated, values-driven Customer Service team player with high energy, and enthusiasm
- Demonstrated success in consistently delivering against short and long term objectives
- Excellent collaboration skills and ability to communicate cross-functionally
- Detail and data-oriented with proven ability to drive multiple projects forward simultaneously
- Availability 5:30am - 11:30pm Eastern and/or Western (Rotating)
- Willingness and ability to work a modified week or rotating on-call weekends
- Willingness and ability to travel to conferences as needed
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Active Listening
- Positive Vocabulary
- Managing Ambiguity
- Creative Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Follow-up Questioning
Merit’s salaries are competitive and transparent. Here’s a link to our pay bands: https://www.merits.com/resources/paybands/corporate-operations
At Merit, we don’t just accept differences, we celebrate, support, and value them for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We encourage applications from veterans and military spouses.
Merit is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for our employees. If you need accessibility assistance or a reasonable accommodation, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.