The Flex Company
Accounting & Finance
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2022
We are looking for a highly motivated Staff Accountant who can own the entire accounting close process, manage our accounts payable and accounts receivable areas, and drive critical process improvements to scale with our growth. This role will report to the VP of Finance and partner with the CFO and cross-functional department heads to provide timely, relevant information to internal business partners and optimize process and information flows with external partners.
The Staff Accountant will have the opportunity to directly interact with all levels of the organization and their work will have a tangible impact on the success of the company. They will be exposed to the inner workings of the business and have the opportunity to develop their skills and grow their career through coaching and hands-on experience.
Candidates do need to be located in Los Angeles, as the role is onsite at our headquarters in Venice, CA.
- Month-End Close
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare entries to accounts
- Upload and code expenses (e.g. credit card charges or employee reimbursements)
- Prepare detailed journal entries
- Prepare and record month-end accruals
- Perform accounting reconciliations
- Accounts Payable
- Ensure that vendor invoices are entered accurately and in a timely manner
- Work with cross-functional team leads to facilitate invoice approvals
- Process outgoing payments weekly
- Act as resource for internal and external partners to provide updates on payment status
- Accounts Receivable
- Manage cash application for remittances from customers
- Ensure compliance with any accounting and reporting deadlines
- Liaise internally with cross functional stakeholders, as needed
- Other accounting duties as assigned
- B.S. in accounting or similar major preferred
- 2-3 years in an accounting role for a goods or products company
- Strong knowledge/familiarity with US GAAP
- Expert with QuickBooks, Bill.com, or similar accounting software
- Proficient with Excel or Google Sheets, including pivot tables, SUMIFS, and VLOOKUP/XLOOKUP
- Comfortable with technology and software integrations
- Thrives in a fast-paced, start-up environment
In 1 Month You Will:
- Understand the monthly accounting close process
- Understand the sources of information for the accounting close process
- Complete the account reconciliations necessary to ensure that the financial results are accurately reflected
- Build relationships with the key external business partners including manufacturing vendors and sales brokers
In 3 Months:
- Be able to work independently as well as collaborate within a team environment
- Recommend and implement process improvements to the monthly close process
- Assume full ownership for the cash application of remittances from customers and communicate observations/issues to the sales brokers and internal sales team
In 6 Months:
- Be seen as the go-to person for when internal and external business partners have accounting questions
- Actively participate in the development of financial forecasts and in the monthly reconciliation of forecast to actuals
- Be seen as a steady leader within The Flex Company with an acute attention to detail that colleagues internally (e.g., Marketing, Supply Chain, Product Development, etc.) can rely on at all times
Our shared values:
- Lead with Intention: Leaders are made not born. Leadership is a practice of intention. And through that intention is how we will ultimately succeed in realizing our mission and vision.
- Embrace Accountability: We are imperfect in our actions, results, and even sometimes our intentions. By making accountability a practice, we destigmatize failure, increase trust with others, and accelerate learning both at the individual and the team level.
- Practice a Growth Mindset: Growth comes at the edge of our comfort zone. We repeatedly place ourselves there by risking failure and embracing the challenges that failure presents us to own our growth and support others in theirs.
- Be You: We want people to show up as they are because that creates a healthier, more dynamic, and effective work environment. Just as much to do with being oneself, it’s everyone’s responsibility to create space for others to be their authentic self as well.
About The Flex Company
The Flex Company was founded on the belief that people deserve innovative, sustainable, life-changing period products. After years of disappointment and discomfort trying dozens of products, Lauren Schulte Wang founded Flex to create body-safe, medical grade alternatives that outperform traditional period products. Flex Disc and Flex Cup generate 60% less waste and have the capacity of up to three super tampons, all while maintaining the highest level of comfort through inventive engineering and rigorous testing.
Flex is sold at over 25,000 stores across the US and is the #1 alternative period product brand based on units sold. Committed to making its life-changing products accessible to as many people possible, Flex is available at Target, CVS, and Walgreens, and at flexfits.com.
Flex is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, age, and other protected categories. From our hiring practices to the design of our flagship products, we believe equity and diversity is critical to the ideas, talent, and processes that help us create the most positive impact for our customers and for each other. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply to be a team member at The Flex Company.
We pay competitive salaries, equity, & benefits including (but not limited to) medical, dental and vision health insurance, paid parental leave, cell phone reimbursement, and $1,000 annual wellness and learning credit.